Saturday, September 26, 2026

FINE IS ALSO A DISTANCE___ Interpretation of talk we do

What we speak becomes the house we live in

I have a friend like this.

She is smart and polished. She can read a family before the tea even arrives. At work she is very good. People leave her room feeling lighter.

Ask her how she is, and she answers like the weather: Fine. Normal. No rain.

She is an intentionally selective extrovert.

She uses her social energy on other people — their stories, their problems, their need to be understood. She is open, warm, and precise when the conversation is about them. When it turns to her, she keeps it brief. Not because her life is empty. Because she has chosen to keep that part private.

She is outgoing on purpose, not by habit. She gives a lot. She withholds her own weather.

 Fine. Normal. that's the only response ...

She made me to think n analyse her ...

You can get lost in that kind of fine. Most of us already have.

We talk all day and think talk is simple. Then one small line arrives, and two people who love each other start a fight over nothing large. If you have ever sat in a car, a meeting, or a kitchen and wondered how the evening turned so fast, this is the map underneath that moment.

We talk all day. Then one line changes the room.

The problem is not that we speak too little. The problem is that one line is never only one line. You think you said the light is green. She heard you do not trust my driving. You think you asked for the file. He heard you think I am careless. You think you asked for the phone to go down. They heard you never choose me.

The sentence was small. The house it built was not.

The theory hiding inside an ordinary sentence

German psychologist Friedemann Schulz von Thun said communication is a square, not a straight line. He called it the four-sides model. One mouth sends four messages at once. One ear can choose which of the four to hear. That is why two honest people can leave the same sentence feeling completely different things.

Picture the sentence as a square with four sides.

Fact side. What you can point to. The light is green. The file is empty. The phone is in the hand.

Self side. What the speaker reveals without naming it. I am late. I am worried. I am tired of being second to a screen.

Relationship side. What the line seems to say about the two of you. I have to watch you. I expected better. Right now I come after the phone.

Appeal side. What the speaker wants done. Go. Send the file. Put it down. Sit with me.

We speak with four beaks. We hear with four ears. Trouble starts when the speaker meant the fact or the request, and the listener heard only the relationship.

Then both people feel lonely in the same house.

We are both-and people. We want comfort and meaning. Rest and duty. Softness and respect. A good life is not a silent head. It is living with two opposite feelings without throwing one out. That is why a small line can carry heat. The heat is usually not the light, the file, or the phone. The heat is the relationship ear.

The car: the light was green. The fight was not about the light.




City traffic. School time. Horns. A bike slipping through the gap. She is driving. You are sitting next to her, which in many homes comes with free advice.

Arre, green light ho gaya.

Fact: the light is green.

Self: you are late and restless.

Relationship: I have to watch you. I do not think you noticed.

Appeal: go now.

If she hears only relationship, the light is not a light. It is a remark on her driving. She says she can see it, but her voice is already hurt. You say you were only helping. Nobody feels helped. The car behind honks.

If she hears the fact, she goes. If she hears that you are tense, she may still feel irritated, but she does not have to make it a big story. If she hears the request, she moves. Tone can wait for home.

The road is a bad courtroom. Help that sounds like control is not help.

The office: the file is empty. Eleven o’clock still comes.

Monday meeting. Tea going cold. The boss looks at the sheet.

Updates still pending.


What is actually happening:

Fact ...Some parts of the file are empty.  

What the boss feels: Worry. The call is at eleven.  

- What it sounds like about you: I thought this would be done. I’m not sure you’re on it.

- What they want: Finish it and send it before the call.

If you hear only the relationship part — the doubt, the disappointment — you feel small. You start explaining how hard you work. The file stays empty. Eleven o’clock still comes.

If you hear the request, you answer the work: “Three points are pending. I’ll send it by 10:30.” Simple. Useful. The talk about respect can wait.


Defence does not fill a blank cell.


The kitchen: the phone is not about the phone.

This is where most of us actually live.

Half past eight. Dal on the table. One plate served. Television on low. One person sits down still holding the phone. The other has cooked, or laid the table, or waited. They are not trying to start a war. They wanted a small piece of the day with no screen in the middle.

Khana khate time don't keep phone.

Fact: the phone is in the hand at dinner.

Self: I am tired of sharing you with that screen. I cooked. I waited. I wanted us here.

Relationship: right now I feel I come after the phone.

Appeal: put it down. Sit with me. Eat.

This is personal life in one line. It is not really about a phone. It is about whether two people are in the same room.

Hear only relationship, and the answer comes fast. I had a long day. You also see your phone. Now the kitchen has two hurt people and cold food. Nobody meant this. Both think the other started it.

Hear the fact, and the phone is simply on the table. Hear the feeling under the words, and you hear I miss you, even if it came out sharp. Hear the request, and the phone goes face down. The food can still be warm.

A softer kitchen line carries the same four sides. You didn’t ask how my day was. Fact: no one asked. Self: I needed a little care. Relationship: I feel unseen. Appeal: ask me. Stay a few minutes.

A person who hears only blame will say you also didn’t ask. A person who hears the request will ask.

The first bite should not have to carry the whole marriage. Sharpness is often a badly packed invitation.

She can explain your family. She cannot say she is far.

My friend does this with finer tools and the same fear. Someone at home asks why she never says what she feels.

Fact: she has been saying fine.

Self: the other person wants to come closer.

Relationship: I feel locked out.

Appeal: tell me one true thing.

She explains their nature instead of her own. The kitchen stays neat. The two people stay far.

Weather is a polite way to disappear.

The committee in your head will not go quiet. It does not have to.

Even when the other person is clear, your own head is noisy. This is the inner team.

One voice says put the phone down, tell the truth, send the file. One voice says if you give an inch they will start a list. One voice remembers an old fight. One voice says keep peace, don’t start anything at night. They talk together like family after a wedding.

The mistake is to pretend only one voice is you. The work is to hear the team, ask the scared one what it is protecting, and then choose for this hour. Not for the whole life. For this hour.

Peace that silences every voice is not peace. It is a locked door.

How to resolve it without turning dinner into a court

Do not resolve the whole relationship at a green light. Do not resolve respect in a Monday meeting. Do not resolve years of distance over the first bite. Resolve in two layers. The first layer puts out the fire. The second layer rebuilds the room.

First, handle the small request now. That is the appeal side. It is practical and fast. In the car, go when it is green. In the office, fill the pending part and say the time. In the kitchen, phone face down, sit, eat. This stops the moment from becoming evidence.

Then, after the moment, name the four sides. When the road is behind you, the call is done, the plates are down, speak in this order. Fact first: what actually happened. Self next: what I felt. I was late. I felt unseen. I got scared. Relationship without a trial: when I heard that line, I heard I don’t matter. I may have heard more than you sent. Appeal in clean words: what I want next time. Tell me you are tense. Ask me about my day. Give me ten minutes without the phone.

A clean request sounds like this. Phone utar lo, mujhe tumhare saath baithna hai. That is easier to hear than you never choose me.

Same need. Less blood.

If you are the speaker, separate the four sides before the sentence leaves your mouth. Say the fact. Then say the feeling. Then say the ask. Do not pack all four into one sharp line and hope the other person unpacks it kindly.

If you are the listener, ask one quiet question before you defend. Which side am I hearing. Fact, self, relationship, or request. If you heard blame, check once more. There may be a request under it.

If your inner team starts shouting, do not answer from the oldest voice. Answer from the one that can do the next useful thing. File sent. Phone down. One honest line.

For my friend, and for anyone good at reading others and quiet about themselves, resolution is not a long confession. It is one true sentence after years of weather.

You’re right. I keep saying fine. I get scared that if I say the real thing, it will be used later. Today I felt far.

That is enough for one night.

Then stay in the room. Do not explain their nature. Do not tidy the feeling away. Let the other person meet the self side, not only the weather.

The house is built before anyone notices

Years later nobody remembers who was right about the green light. They remember whether the other person stayed on their side of the table. The file gets sent. The phone gets put down. The sentence that lasts is the one that told the truth without turning the room into a courtroom.

Imagine the same kitchen on another night. Dal still on the table. Television still low. The phone still wants a hand. This time the line comes softer, and the ear that hears it is different. The phone goes face down. Someone asks how the day actually was. The answer is not fine. It is one true thing. Nothing dramatic happens. That is the point.

Love rarely fails in speeches. It fails in the small line we refuse to hear.


My friend will still be good at other people. That gift does not have to be a hiding place. One night she can stop explaining the weather and say she felt far. If the other person hears the request under that sentence, the house shifts by an inch. An inch is enough. Most homes are not rebuilt. They are quietly rearranged, plate by plate, light by light.

So here is the ending that actually works. When the next small line comes, do not win it. Unpack it. Find the fact. Find the feeling. Find the ask. Do the ask if you can. Save the bigger talk for a room that is not already burning.

What we speak becomes the house we live in. Speak as if you still want to live there tomorrow.

Then eat while the food is warm.


8 comments:

  1. A beautiful reminder that honest communication isn’t about winning—it’s about being heard, understood, and choosing connection. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful blog sir

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every sentence sends four messages: facts, self-expression, relationship dynamics, and requests. Fights spark when we hear blame where a simple appeal was intended. Saying "fine" often hides vulnerability behind polite distance. To connect, separate your emotions from simple requests, address the immediate need first, and share your inner truth cleanly rather than defending against imagined attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. हम अक्सर शब्दों से बात नहीं करते, अपने घावों से बात करते हैं। जब कोई कहता है—“गाड़ी चलाओ, हरी बत्ती हो गई,” या “खाना खाते वक्त फोन रख दो,” तो वह हुक्म नहीं, अपनी बेचैनी या अकेलापन बांट रहा होता है। लेकिन हमारा अहंकार केवल शिकायत सुनता है।
    ​“सब ठीक है” (Fine) कहना शांति नहीं, बल्कि एक सुरक्षित दूरी है जो हम अपनों के बीच बना लेते हैं। जब आप अपनी सच्चाई छुपाते हैं, तो कमरा भरा होकर भी घर खाली लगता है।
    ​हर तीखी बात के भीतर एक छोटी सी प्रार्थना छिपी होती है—“मुझे देखो, मेरे साथ रहो।” तानों पर बहस करने के बजाय उस छिपी हुई पुकार को पहचानिए। रिश्ते सही साबित होने से नहीं, अपनी दीवारें गिराकर सच बोलने से बचते हैं।
    ​क्या आप इस नजरिए से अपनी उस दोस्त से कभी खुलकर बात कर पाए हैं?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Fine is also a distance" - this line alone is worth the whole read. Beautifully written. You explained how one honest sentence is better than years of small talk. Simple, deep, and very relatable. That last line 💜 - "What we speak becomes the house we live in" - stays with you. Hits different!!! 👏

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'Some distances are measured in miles, some in moments'.......
    Beautiful as always! And lil special this time ✨

    ReplyDelete
  7. So simply explained relatable examples 😇. Thanks for the post Sir !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s less about winning and more about being heard, finding understanding, and strengthening connections. Excellent message sir

    ReplyDelete

FINE IS ALSO A DISTANCE___ Interpretation of talk we do

What we speak becomes the house we live in I have a friend like this. She is smart and polished. She can read a family before ...